2.24.2017

Jessica Lang Comes to Wharton - An Interview with Milan Misko



Photo Credit: Todd Burnsed

On Tuesday, February 28th The Jessica Lang Dance Company will be coming to Wharton Center for Performing Arts.  I was able to chat with Milan Misko before his East Lansing arrival.

Eden Kangas: How old were you when you started dancing?

Milan Misko: I started tap dancing when I was 14 years old, and started taking ballet classes when I was fifteen. 

EK: Who were some of your performing arts idols growing up? 

MM: Ever since I can remember, my mom would watch Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly Musicals with me. I was really inspired watching both of these men dance, but Gene Kelly was always my favorite. I still very much enjoy watching his films. 

EK: Tell me about your college / after high school experiences? 

MM: I attended the Dance Conservatory at Purchase College directly after high school, and graduated in 2008. Not only did I receive good education and training to prepare me for a long professional career as a dancer, but it also helped me establish relationships in the dance community in NYC that I wanted to be a part of. 

EK: What shoes do you wear? 

MM: I wear Capezio ballet shoes. 

EK: What makes the Jessica Lang Dance company different from other companies? 

MM: Jessica's work is dynamic, moving, ever-relevant, and always carries her unique artistic voice. I think there is something for everyone to enjoy in her work. 

EK: I see you have a mission of inspiring global audiences. How far have you travelled and how do you inspire them? 

MM: Jessica Lang Dance has performed in over 50 cities throughout 5 countries. We have more international destinations coming up, including Tel Aviv, Israel. In additional to the performances, we also conduct master dance classes and lectures in the cities we visit with local dancers, and non-dancers alike. 

EK:What are some of the things you miss when you are on the road? 

MM: I do enjoy touring with Jessica Lang Dance, but I always miss spending time with my wife in NYC. Sometimes, she gets to come visit me on tour. 

EK: How did your choreographer create the ideas for this show? 

MM: Jessica seems to be able to find inspiration for dance anywhere. In this show, you will see pieces inspired by music, Shakespeare's sonnets, the bravery of those affected by war, and architectural theory in collaboration with famed architect Steven Holl. It is a rich program, with something for everyone. 

EK: How long did it take for the company to learn the choreography? 

MM: We are performing five pieces in this program. One piece could take up to 6 weeks for Jessica to create on the company. We continue to rehearse the pieces after we have learned the choreography. We have to constantly adjust the pieces to fit on different stages, and keep the choreography fresh in our bodies. 

EK: How do you stay healthy and injury free on the road? 

MM: JLD always provides a company warm up class on days we dance so our bodies are properly warmed up and in shape for our work. 

EK: Any pre or post show rituals?

MM: JLD always joins hands in a circle right before the curtain goes up. 

EK: Do you have a favorite prop, set or wardrobe item? 

MM: There are three shapes called "tesseracts" in Tesseracts of Time that I really like. They are used to dance on, hide within, and they do some very surprising things.

EK: Favorite song or dance number from the show? 

MM: One of my favorite pieces to perform right now is Thousand Yard Stare. It feels so moving and important to dance a piece that is a tribute to war veterans. 

EK: Can you tell me about the cast chemistry?

MM: Everyone JLD gets along well on and off stage. We are like a large family. We play music, enjoy games, and love celebrating each other's birthdays. 

EK: What advice would you give to kids interested in dance/ if careers?

MM: Expose yourself to as much dance and art as you can, and find a place where you can fully dedicate yourself for a while. 

EK: Let’s look ahead. What is in the future for you? Broadway? Television? Where is your tour going?

MM: JLD is on a 29 -city tour. We are on number 16 right now. After this tour is finished, we will perform at the iconic Jacob's Pillow. Jessica is also creating new pieces for the company this year, so it is a very exciting time for us. 

EK: Do you have social media sites / fan pages you’d like me to share? 

Instagram @jessicalangdance
Twitter @jessicalangJLD
Facebook @Jessica Lang Dance

Purchase tickets online at: Wharton - Jessica Lang Dance Tickets




No comments: