3.31.2017

Academy of Russian Classical Ballet Interview with Madame Korotaeva

I interviewed Madame Olga Korotaeva, Ballet Mistress for the Professional Trainee Program at the Academy for Russian Classical Ballet in Wixom.  She is one of a few new faces at the school.  Coming from Russia, she is still learning English, so I'm thankful founder and director Jessica Morschakov helped with translation.  I really like Madame Korotaeva and look forward to learning more from her. 

Eden: How old were you when you started dancing?
Madame Korotaeva: I started for fun at age six and became serious at age ten.

EK: Did any of your family members dance?
MK: No.

EK: Is there a special theatre where you like to perform in Russia?
MK: I always danced at the Perm Theatre where I grew up.

EK: What is your favorite ballet?
MK: I like ballets with dramatic acting roles such as Gizelle.  I also like Harlequinade, by famed choreographer Ben Stevenson.

EK: How is Russian different from other forms of ballet?
MK: The Russian style has a lot of artistry behind it, which includes the arms and upper body.

EK: What is your ballet training?
MK: I graduated from the Perm State Choreographic Institute, under the guidance of  L. Sakharova.  I performed Sleeping Beauty, Le Corsaire, Don Quixote, Nutcracker, Golden Age, Swan Lake, Coppelia, and others ballets in the company. Following a my dance career, I received a Masters Degree in ballet pedagogy and character dance from the Moscow State Choreographic Institute. I completed additional training from the Vaganova Academy in St. Petersburg. I joined the Perm  teaching staff and have worked in Tokyo, Japan.

EK: How many languages do you speak?
MK: I speak Russian and am learning English.  Ballet is in French, so I don't need to learn a lot of other languages, because it is the same everywhere.

EK: What is something you like about the United States?
MK:  I like visiting California.

EK: How long do you plan to stay here?
MK: I will stay as long as they will have me.

Learn more about the Academy of Russia Classical Ballet here: https://russianclassicalballet.com/
Perm Ballet School Website
Perm Ballet School Video:

No comments: